Brewing Shaken Cold Coffee
Use this method for a refreshing coffee on a hot day, or on a cold day just because you like coffee.
- With your glass on the kitchen scale, place the V-60 directly onto the glass.
- Place a size one or two paper filter into the V-60.
- Rinse the filter with hot water.Rinsing the filter removes excess paper particles that can have noticeable effects on the flavor notes of the coffee.
- Place 24 grams of ground coffee into the filter.Note: Be sure to tare the scale to 0 grams before starting to pour hot water into the coffee grounds.
- Start the timer and quickly pour 50 grams of hot water into the coffee grounds.
- Gently stir the coffee, ensuring all coffee is wet, and let "bloom" for 30 seconds.Letting the coffee bloom for 30 seconds helps release excess carbon dioxide, which negatively affects flavor.
- After 30 seconds, very slowly pour water evenly over the coffee grounds.
- Pour until the total weight is 240 grams of coffee at 2:30 minutes.
- Gently stir, and then let the coffee draw-down (flow through the coffee grounds and into the cup) until 3:00 minutes.
- Pour brewed coffee over 200 grams of ice in the cocktail shaker.
- Seal tightly and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Pour shaken cold coffee into a pint glass.