Brewing with the Chemex
Use the Chemex for fruit-forward coffees, such as Ethiopian and Rwandan coffees.
- Place the Chemex directly onto the kitchen scale.
- Place a filter into the Chemex and rinse with hot water. Rinsing your filter removes excess paper particles that can have noticeable effects on the flavor notes of the coffee.
- Place 56 grams of ground coffee in the filter. Note: Be sure to tare the scale to 0 grams before starting to pour hot water into the coffee grounds.
- Start the timer and immediately pour 115 grams of water into the coffee grounds.
- Gently stir ensuring all the coffee grounds are wet, and let "bloom" for 30 seconds. Letting the coffee bloom for 30 seconds helps release excess carbon dioxide, which negatively affects flavor.
- After 30 seconds, slowly pour water evenly over the coffee grounds.
- Pour until the total weight is 950 grams at 4:00 minutes.
- Gently stir, and then let coffee draw-down until 5:00 minutes.