Cross-References in Processes
Processes that use cross-references are flexible but may become hard to maintain.
Keep in mind the following advantages of process topics that use cross-references:
- You can add additional information to the process list. For example, you can add note elements or mark process step elements as optional.
- You can link to the same task topic (procedure) from multiple process topics in a map.
- Compatible with a variety of publishing engines and publishing scenarios.
Keep in mind the following limitations of process topics that use cross-references:
- The process topic steps are not generated automatically so you need to add them manually.
- Cross-referenced content can be hard to maintain. The process topic steps do not update automatically when the number or order of task topics (procedures) changes.
- Topic hierarchy may not always be reflected, as the task topics (procedures) do not need to be appended under the process topic.